Wednesday 11 July 2012

24hr - "military time"

Welcome to America, where the food is bountiful, the lifestyle varies and it's either AM or PM. 

I live with two rad Californian girls. One from the south and one from the north. They do the 4th of July, beers and good times. Super typical. They also do a lot of American-English. Sometimes, obviously, I understand them. Sometimes I don't want to. 

This evening, I learnt about "military time". What is 23:25 to me is incomprehensible to them. They "didn't learn it like that" and they aren't even willing to learn! Flying the flag solo over here for the rest of the world. North California (Nor Cal) is all giggles about how she couldn't remember which numbers meant which time and it's making me laugh, South California (So Cal) is trying to justify herself as to why she doesn't need to know "militarty time" which isn't improving their argument and frustrating me more. The world understands the time, but North America understands something else. Circles went by and we were in them. It's only 2 sets of 11 numbers paired together. Come on! 

After circling around  - hours go by and sadly, it's still being called "military time" and they refuse to understand that military time is used outside of the military. Long live the 24hr clock. 

USA 1 - AC 0

Battle lost. 

(I will be keeping track of our triumphs and failures)


No comments:

Post a Comment